|“||You wanted a monster, I made you a monster... or a master piece. History will be my judge.||”|
— Doc Ock about Venom
Spider-Man/Peter Parker (genetic template/fifth host)
Venom is a Symbiote created from Spider-Man's DNA by Doctor Octopus for Norman Osborn and Oscorp. This living organism that can attach itself to a human host to form an almost unstoppable villain. It is tertiary antagonist of Season 1 and a supporting antagonist in Season 2. He is one of Spider-Man's arch-enemies.
Resembling a substance of black liquefied slime, Venom can change shape and can form a face with eyes that have a jagged white outline and a mouth with razor-sharp teeth. After taking a host, Venom gains an extreme muscular physical body and grows larger depending on the host's size. He also have a big white spider on his chest, big hands with long nails and big feet with long toenails.
After bonding with Flash Thompson, the symbiote developed spiky hair, a muscular build, and several tentacles out of its back.
After bonding with Nova, the symbiote developed a head similar in shape to Nova's helmet and a wider jaw than seen on any other form the symbiote took when it bonded with the other hosts. It had the patterns of the Nova Corps uniform.
After bonding with Power Man, the symbiote developed symbiotic-based sunglasses. It had a
muscular build, patterns of Power Man's uniform, and grew four tentacles out of its back.
After bonding with Iron Fist, the symbiote developed a head similar in shape of Iron Fist's mask and had the patterns and the symbol of Iron Fist's costume.
After bonding with Spider-Man, Venom developed the same features of Spider-Man's albeit a pure black costume and a white spider symbol, as well as sharp teeth, a muscular build, four tentacles out of his back.
After bonding with Harry Osborn, the symbiote initially has a variation of Spider-Man's costume: a pure black attire with a white spider symbol. But while taking over its host, Venom has a massive hulking form with the same features albeit a muscular build, sharp teeth, a long tongue and a more sinister look. After absorbing the Carnage symbiote, Venom's later look with this host may have been because of some enhancements.
After escaping confinement and bonded to S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, the modified symbiote developed slender builds with razor-sharp teeth and a little similar to the Carnage symbiote albeit pure black. After bonding to Phil Coulson, Venom developed a slightly muscular build with a tight jaw-line. After enveloping Nick Fury, Venom developed a muscular yet slender build with a gun attachment and only one eye.
After merging with the Green Goblin, Venom developed an outline similar to its host's pointed ears, narrow eyes and very muscular build. Unlike most hosts, Green Goblin wasn't possessed, likely due to the fact that they wanted the same things.
Venom is an emotionless being who is confused the second that it was created from Spider-Man's DNA. Its personality changes depending on who it is bonded to, though it stays with distilled aggression. The only thing it desires is to bond with Spider-Man, until Harry Osborn attempted to control it for himself. While latched onto Harry, Venom rejected Spider-Man saying that he doesn't need him.
You wanted a monster, I made you a monster... or a master piece. History will be my judge.
Venom is a symbiote created by Dr. Otto Octavius after obtaining from a blood sample from Spider-Man left in a battle with an Octobot. At the same moment it was created, the 'living suit of armor' started to act aggressively as it was made from all the deadliest aspects of Spider-Man's DNA. Despite Octavius needing few months to perfect the life-form, Norman Osborn only gave
a month to do so. After Otto tells Osborn about needing more time to have something for that night, the symbiote escaped and wanted to return to where it came from: Spider-Man. The organism followed Peter Parker to Harry Osborn's party. After realizing that Peter is Spider-Man, it became confused and began jumping from host to host. Using its ability to latch onto anyone, it latched onto Flash Thompson, Nova, Power Man and Iron Fist in the process. After finally bonding to Spider-Man, it became complete and proclaimed itself as "Venom" and attempted to kill Spider-Man's allies. When the symbiote targeted Harry and Mary Jane Watson, Spider-Man suddenly began to regain control and fight back, and eventually broke free. Although the organism bested its host in hand-to-hand combat, Spider-Man trapped and shocked the symbiote with his "electro webs", seemingly destroying the symbiote. Unknown to most people, a small piece of the symbiote ended up on a piano in the Osborn family room at some point. Without Peter noticing, Harry scraped it into a bottle, trapping and keeping it.
Black Suit Spidey
After attempting to train the Venom Symbiote, Harry Osborn uses it to become the Black Suit Spidey to impress people. Harry revealed to Peter Parker that he was the Black-Suit Spidey
and assured his friend that he has the organism under control. After Norman Osborn blew him off, Harry became enraged and the suit began to feed off its host's negative emotions. During a battle with Dragon Man, the suit began to consume Harry, and Venom eventually transformed into a massive, hulking creature while fighting Spider-Man. Now in control of its host, Venom fought Spider-Man across the New York City, through Oscorp in front of Norman and was thrown into a massive Daily Bugle television screen. The electricity caused the suit to explode, freeing Harry. However, a small piece of the Symbiote stayed with Harry without him noticing.
Controlling Harry Osborn
Venom gradually returned and took over Harry Osborn's body initially as the Black-Suit Spidey to brutally beat Batroc the Leaper, which led to J. Jonah Jameson claiming the attacker to be Spider-Man. When Harry gets enraged by Norman Osborn's negligence yet again, Venom took over and attacked its host's fat
her. As Spider-Man tries to intervene, Venom throws Norman out of Oscorp's building then fled the scene. Venom later returned to Oscorp to attack Norman but Spider-Man intervened again. Within Oscorp's lab, Venom fought against Spider-Man and then the S.H.I.E.L.D. Trainees. After Venom fled the scene again, a piece of the Symbiote was taken by White Tiger. Venom went to Midtown High School and ambushed the Trainees. When Spider-Man arrived on the scene with an Anti-Venom, they got onto the roof where Harry tried to free himself but Venom strained himself and claimed there is only Venom. Venom chased after Spider-Man but was struck by lightning. Venom was then injected by the Anti-Venom of Spider-Man, Harry was apparently freed and Venom vanished.
Attack on the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier
However, Harry Osborn is later shown to have the Symbiote still in his system, only
showing itself at severe emotional times for its host. While on the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier was attacked, the Green Goblin shocked Harry to turn his son into Venom. Father and son teamed up against Spider-Man as the Helicarrier continued to sink. Spider-Man tries to talk Venom out of it then he tried to free himself of Venom, with Harry grabbing an electrified wire which made the organism leave his body. Green Goblin then took the symbiote to find someone who was actually worthy of wearing this 'magnificent creature' and left.
After fighting Spider-Man, the Green Goblin abducted and injected Peter Parker with a sample of Venom Symbiote, turning the boy into Carnage. After Green Goblin commanded Carnage fight Spider-Man
, S.H.I.E.L.D. and Spider-Man's teammates fight Carnage. As Carnage fights them all, Harry realized that Peter is Carnage's host and commanded Carnage to stop, which it obeyed. When Harry touched Carnage, the Symbiote left Peter and attached itself onto Harry as a modified form of Venom. Now in control of the organism, Venom formed a truce with Spider-Man to take Green Goblin down. As Venom's aggressiveness gradually took over its host, Peter arrived to talk sense into Harry. Harry managed to free himself form the Symbiote and placed it in a beaker and later ended up in S.H.I.E.L.D. custody.
Unleashed on the S.H.I.E.L.D. Tricarrier
Unknown to anyone, a sample of the Venom Symbiote was in Green Goblin's possession to continue finding the perfect host. After the Green Goblin was 'defeated' by Spider-Man's team, the villain was en-route to a S.H.I.E.L.D. prison on the moon aboard S.H.I.E.L.D. Tricarrier when he released the unmodified sample of the Symbiote which reunited with the sample
confiscated by S.H.I.E.L.D., becoming whole again. Venom escaped and latch itself onto numerous S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and pitched them against Spider-Man then freed Green Goblin. Although Spider-Man took Venom's multiple hosts down with ease, Phil Coulson was enveloped and attacked Spider-Man. With the help of Nick Fury, Coulson is subdued but Fury got enveloped himself in the process. Spider-Man eventually defeated Fury. To stop Doctor Octopus from creating another Anti-Venom and since Spider-Man suited up into the Iron Spider Armor, Green Goblin bonds with the Venom Symbiote and battles Spider-Man until eventually Doctor Octopus's Anti-Venom killed all the multiple Symbiotes from the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents while the original was expelled from Green Goblin. With its host back to normal and now latched onto nobody, Spider-Man sent the Venom Symbiote into a vacuum. Spider-Man used his Iron Spider Armor's rocket jets to decimate Venom and also to force himself back inside the Tricarrier, destroying the Venom Symbiote once for all.
Doctor Octopus's Spider Soldiers were an amalgam of Venom-like drones and Oscorp's armor technology.
Norman Osborn/Green Goblin
Powers and Abilities
Venom assimilates and takes on the powers and abilities of his host or hosts. Venom's form seem to always be modeled by the person it has bonded with. As it is made from Spiderman's DNA, its primary abilities every since it first bonded with him became permanently like Spiderman's, even when using a different host. Therefore, while it could previously use the powers of those it possessed, it can now possess them and grant Spider Powers. The symbiote grants the following powers:
- Superhuman Strength: Venom is stronger than Spider-Man.
- Superhuman Durability: Venom is able to take multiple hits from its enemies.
- Superhuman Agility: Despite its huge appearance, Venom is able of jumping 30 feet and is very agile.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Despite its size, Venom is very flexible.
- Regeneration: Due to its unique physiology, Venom is able to regenerate any lost or injured bio-mass almost-instantenously. It can even instantly heal the injuries, disorders or infections of its host.
- Webbing Generation: Venom can shoot strands of the substance in the form of "webbing".
- Wall-Crawling: Venom is able to climb most surfaces.
- ESP (Spider-Sense): Venom possesses an extrasensory ability similar to Spider-Man’s spider-sense.
- Poisonous Fangs: Venom’s set of fangs not only intimidates foes but can deliver a powerful, venomous bite.
- Shapeshifting: Venom can change its size and shape, with or without a host.
- Stretchable Tongue: Venom can stretch out its tongue.
- Tendrils: Venom can generate tendrils from its body.
- Weapon Generation: Venom can form a mace with his arms.
- Possession: Venom has the ability to latch onto anyone and use their powers while taking control of their bodies. It has also been shown to lay dormant inside the host’s body and bloodstream, allowing it to eventually grow out of them and form over the host entirely.
Despite being a monstrous creation with extraordinary powers, Venom
c - cameo
m - mentioned
- While Venom was created by Doctor Octopus (for Norman Osborn) from a sample of Spider-Man's DNA in the series, the original Ultimate Marvel version was created by Richard Parker to cure cancer, while the original mainstream version is a extraterrestrial parasite that needed a host to survive.
- Venom's main weakness is intense heat, vibration and sound in the comics and most other incarnations.
- Venom's first major host is Eddie Brock in the comics, movies, other TV series and video games.
- On a related note, Venom's design in season one resembles his usual appearance, while his design in season two slightly resembles his appearance during Venom: Lethal Protector, which are both seen when bonded to Eddie as a host in the comics.
- Venom's second major host is Mac Gargan in the comics and video games.
- The Black Suit Spider-Man's appearance is given to Harry Osborn rather than Spider-Man.
- While bonded to Nova and Harry, Venom occasionally forms a mace with his arms similar to the Riot symbiote in the comics.
- When bonded to Spider-Man, Harry Osborn and Green Goblin, they are the only ones to have the spider symbol on their chest.
Background in other media
- This is Venom's nineteenth other media appearance and fourth animated appearance.
- He appears in the Disney INFINITY games as a playable character and figurine.
- Main article: Venom (Oscorp)/Gallery